This recipe started it’s life as a saved link from the amazing Gourmet Traveller magazine. After cooking it and playing around it very slightly, this is my version. It’s quick to prepare and cook and makes a great side dish to a BBQ, roasts or any other cooked meat.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 small purple shallots – finely sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic – finely sliced
- 200g bacon – finely chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine or verjuice
- 1 cup frozen peas – defrost in warm water (don’t cook)
- 2 small cos lettuce – quartered lengthwise and the rinsed well
- 2 cups good quality chicken stock
- White pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat and add garlic and shallots.
- Cook until tender, do not brown.
- Add bacon and fry until browned.
- De-glaze pan with wine/verjuice and reduce by half.
- Add peas and stock.
- When peas are nearly cooked add lettuce.
- Cover with lid for a couple of minutes until lettuce wilts slightly.
- Serve immediately.