Surprisingly, baked beans are very easy to make. All you need to do is chop some garlic, mix some spices and open two cans! Once you’ve eaten these, you won’t go back to the pre-made variety.
If you are vegetarian, just remove the chorizo from the recipe below.
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed or chopped
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground chilli
- 2 big cans (800g each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (400g each) cannellini beans – rinsed and drained
- 70g chorizo – sliced
- Salt and white pepper
- Large non-stick pan
- Wooden spoon
- Spoon measures
- Heat a splash of oil in a pan and heat.
- Add garlic and sweat until soft.
- Add all dry spices (cumin, paprika, chilli) and toast. This process brings out the flavour of the spice and removes any “soapy” or raw flavour that sometimes appears from untoasted spices.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes or until they reduce.
- Add beans and chorizo and cook for another 5 minutes. Don’t cook until beans start to break up, you want them heated through but whole.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Serve with toast and regular breakfast favourites.