Jumplings Tasty Dumplings guru Roy Chin and I recently spent a couple of days teaching customers at Westfield Whitford City who to make dumplings. What a great start to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Roy shared his tips and tricks. Below is the basic recipe.
If you’d like to try Roy’s dumplings, then make sure you visit his Jumplings food van. You can find out the locations on the Jumplings’ Facebook page here.
Makes many – it is suggested you do this with a group of family or friends so you get it done faster.
- 200g chicken mince (thigh meat best)
- 100g wombok (Chinese cabbage) – shredded (this adds moisture to the dumpling making it juicier)
- 100g cabbage – shredded (this adds texture to the dumpling)
- 15g spring onions – use green part and dice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 10 drops sesame oil
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 egg
- gyoza wrappers – find these in fridge or freezer section a Chinese Supermarket
- good quality WA olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup water
- juice from 1/4 lime
- sprinkle of sugar
To make filling
- Place chicken mince, cabbage, wombok, spices and soy, oyster sauce, egg and sesame oil in a large bowl. Blend well with hands until combined.
- If mix seems to dry add a small amount of chicken stock or water.
- Refrigerate mix for 30 minutes.
- If excess moisture present, add rolled oats. These absorb the juice and add a nice texture to the dumplings.
To make dumplings
- Place around 1tsp to 1.5 tsp of filling onto gyoza wrapper.
- Wrap according to instructions here.
- Refrigerate until time to cook. Or freeze in airtight container for up to 6 months. Cook from frozen.
- Heat olive oil in non-stick pan (you will need one with a good fitting lid) on high.
- Add dumplings, flat side down. Fill the pan until it is full but dumplings are not touching each other.
- Add 1/2 cup of water. BE VERY CAREFUL OF SPITTING OIL.
- Fit lid.
- Steam dumplings. Once water has evaporated dumplings should be cooked through.
- Leave in pan with a dash more oil until base of dumpling is browned and crunchy.
- Serve immediately.
To make dipping sauce
- Combine all ingredients and mix.