Everyone loves a crumble on a cold winter evening. This one won’t take long to whip up and impresses every time.
Serve with a good quality vanilla ice cream or double cream.
- 4/5 cup (120g) self raising flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup ground almond meal
- 100g cold unsalted butter
- 1kg fresh or frozen mixed berries (ie raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- 4 x oven proof ramekins or one large oven proof dish
- Pre-heat oven on 200 degrees Celsius.
- Chop butter into cubes (around 1cm)
- To make crumble combine flour, sugar, almond meal.
- Add butter to dry mix and rub in using fingertips until there is a bread crumb consistency. Taste topping and alter to taste (ie add slightly more sugar or almond meal but ensure you don’t dry out the topping too much).
- Divide berries evenly amongst the four ramekins.
- Top with crumble.
- Bake immediately for around 20 minutes or until crumble is golden and fruit is bubbling from underneath.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream and/or double cream.
Variations and notes
- The topping can be prepared before time and refrigerated.
- Add a kick by adding a splash of vodka or Cointreau to the berries and allow to marinate for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Use gluten free flour in place of regular self raising flour if you need to make this dessert gluten free.