With very few ingredients, this hearty winter warmer will quickly become a family favourite. Take is slow and cook all day in your slow cooker or speed it up and make it in less than 30 minutes using a pressure cooker.
This recipe was handed to Emma by her Mum – an old favourite.
- 1 brown onion – finely chopped
- 5 sticks celery – finely chopped
- 3 carrots – finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1.5L stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 500g pack dried split peas – rinsed
- 2 bacon hocks (or if you prefer smoked bacon bones)
- Slow cooker or pressure cooker
- Wooden spoon
- Place onion, garlic, celery, carrot, split peas, hocks and stock to pot.
- If using pressure cooker, once it has reached hissing point, allow to hiss on low for 25 minutes.
- If using slow cooker, allow to cook on low for around 5 to 7 hours or until split peas have disintergrated and are incorporated into stock.
- Remove bacon hocks from soup and strip of meat. Add meat back into soup.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.