I spend a lot of time in the car. Not as much as a courier or truck driver, but the trip to and from work takes up a lot of my week. As such I listen to a lot of radio. Recently I heard Russell Blaikie on ABC720 chatting about a Spanish Baked Eggs and Homemade Baked Beans. This is a dish I’ve been meaning to try for a while. So, inspired by the recipe I canned the dinner I had planned and stopped off at the local supermarket on the way home to buy what I needed to try out this new recipe. The result, a dish that was much easier to make than I every imagined and really tasty, great for dinner or breakfast, plus pretty healthy too.
I recently got to meet the lovely Sarah Grace from Channel 7’s Winners and Losers show. She mentioned she’s not much of a cook. As this recipe only involves opening two cans, chopping some chorizo and cracking an egg I thought I’d share it with her. It’s an easy one to ease your way into cooking.
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed or chopped
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground chilli
- 2 big cans (800g each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (400g each) cannellini beans – rinsed and drained
- 70g chorizo – sliced
- 4 eggs
- Salt and white pepper
- Crusty loaf of bread
- Goat’s cheese (garnish) – optional
- Rocket (garnish) – optional
- Large non-stick pan
- Wooden spoon
- Spoon measures
- Oven-proof shallow bowls (earthenware is nice)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Add dash of oil to pan and heat.
- Add garlic and sweat until soft.
- Add all dry spices (cumin, paprika, chilli) and toast. This process brings out the flavour of the spice and removes any “soapy” flavour that raw spices sometimes create.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes or until they reduce.
- Add beans and chorizo and cook for another 5 minutes. Don’t cook until beans start to break up, you want them heated through but whole.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Spoon even amounts into bowls.
- Make small dent in bean mix and crack egg into centre. Try not to break yolk. If required, carefully make dent deeper with spoon once egg on beans so the egg remains in middle of dish.
- Place in oven and cook until egg white cooked but yolk still runny.
- Remove from oven and top with rocket (to add freshness) and a sprinkle of goat’s cheese (for salty creaminess).
- Serve with toasted loaf for dipping into egg and bean mix.