Serve with a good quality vanilla ice cream, custard or double cream.
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp shaved fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 tbsp butter – melted
- 1 egg – beaten
- small amount of milk
- Pot or microwave dish
- Wooden spoon
- Dessert spoons
- One large oven proof dish
- Pre-heat oven on 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine sauce ingredients and place either on stove or in microwave until butter melted and water hot enough to melt sugar. Allow flavours to infuse for 5 minutes (see photo).
- Combine all dumpling ingredients; add milk until dough is firm and sticky (see photo).
- Strain out ginger and cinnamon from sauce mix and pour into ovenproof bowl.
- Use dessert spoons to scoop dumpling dough and place rough ball shapes into dish. Dumpling mix should float on top of sauce (see photo).
- Place into oven and cook for 20 minutes or until top is golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve while hot with ice cream, custard and/or double cream.
Variations and notes
- The uncooked sauce mix and dumpling mix can be prepared separately before time and refrigerated. Assemble before baking.
- Remove spices (cinnamon, ginger and cardamom) if you prefer plain sauce.
- This dish does not keep well (dumplings become very hard). Eat once cooked and dispose of the leftovers.