Use this tangy lemon curd in Deconstructed Lemon Cheesecake, on pancakes or fresh bread, as gifts or just as a treat.
makes around 1L
- 250mL freshly squeezed lemon juice (around 6 lemons worth)
- 160g butter
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 330g sugar
- Strainer / sieve
- Juice lemons and sieve to ensure all pulp has been removed.
- In a saucepan, whisk eggs (yolks and whole eggs) and sugar until well mixed and smooth.
- Over low to medium heat, add butter and lemon juice and whisk well.
- Whisk continuously until mix is thickens, remove from heat and continue to whisk. Once removed from heat, it will take 3 to 5 minutes for it to cool, so to ensure you don’t overcook it, continue to whisk so it cools faster.
- Store in sterilised jar. Will keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks (if it lasts that long it’s pretty tasty!).
Variations and science stuff
- Egg based dishes like this can be tricky and you do need to ensure they don’t get too hot. Around 72 degrees is perfect.